Watch Krista DuChene Saucony Video
- Krista DuChene is well-known as Canada’s Marathon Mom, a name given to her after winning the 2009 Mississauga Marathon on Mother’s Day, which was her first marathon back after the birth of her second child.
- Raised on a farm near Alvinston, ON with five siblings, she enjoyed every sport and activity possible. From hockey and running to school, youth group, and 4-H, she did and loved it all. She attended Brooke-Alvinston Central Public School.
- She attended LCCVI high school in Petrolia, ON where she fell in love with running and was coached by Murray Jackson, while continuing to play hockey in Lambton County. She competed at various OFSAA events and even played one season on the high school hockey team.
- While earning her Applied Human Nutrition – Bachelor of Applied Science degree at the University of Guelph, she played ice hockey. She was a 1999-2000 OUA all-star, and was awarded the final four MVP and top scorer award after her team won the 1997-1998 provincial (OUA) championships, then placed 4th at the National Championships.
- At the U of Guelph she met her volleyball-playing husband, Jonathan DuChene. Her first job as a Registered Dietitian upon graduation from internship in Kingston was at the Brant County Health Unit in 2002 when Krista and Jonathan made Brantford their home.
- She returned to running to stay fit and completed her first marathon in 2002 for fun. She gradually progressed from a recreational to an elite level runner.
- They had 3 beautiful children (Sons, Micah & Seth and Daughter Leah) while Krista gradually decreased her hours as dietitian, so that she could focus on her running career.
- Krista and Jonathan are active at Brant Community Church and love calling Brantford their home. Krista volunteers at their kids’ school, Central Baptist Academy, and within the Brant Community. She is passionate about the Kenyan Kids Foundation and Start2Finish programs to help end poverty, and the Canadian Cancer Society. She enjoys public speaking.
- Krista’s favourite quote is that of Eric Liddell, “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast! And when I run I feel his pleasure.”